New Resident Guide

A Guide for Your Local Services

Commuting: The Texoma Area Paratransit Service (TAPS) provides residents of Gainesville and Cooke County van and bus service. Call the TAPS office at 1-844-603-6048
for information.

Crime Prevention Crime Prevention in Gainesville utilizes a blending of education, awareness, police support, and community activities to reduce crime and fear of crime among individuals, neighborhoods, & businesses. Crime Prevention Officers will assess your residence or business for security and crime prevention tips. Numerous Neighborhood “Crime Watch” groups are also active throughout the city. For information on Crime Prevention, call the Gainesville Police Department at (940) 668-7777.

Law Enforcement The City of Gainesville Police Department provides 24-hour emergency services (9-1-1) and non-emergency services (668-7777) to city residents and business owners. Communications personnel dispatch for the Police and Fire departments. For information on department tours call 668-7777.

Driver Licenses The Texas Department of Public Safety operates a state license bureau office at 206 W. California. The office is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Driver license testing is performed at the same location. For more information call (940) 665-3924. You may also register to vote when you get or renew your driver license.

Electrical Service The State of Texas deregulated the electric service provider industry. The Public Utility Commission of the State of Texas maintains a listing of registered retail electric providers.

You may go online at or call Texas Electric Choice at 1-866-797-4839 to find out and compare which companies provide retail electric service within the City of Gainesville.

In addition to these providers, Cooke County Electrical Cooperative may also serve individuals whose residence or business is located generally within the northwest quadrant of the City. You may call (940) 759-2211 to speak with one of their representatives.

Internet Providers – There are several providers of Internet service
throughout the City. Check your local yellow pages for contact information.

Fire Protection The City of Gainesville provides
emergency and non-emergency fire protection services to
Gainesville residents and businesses. Services and educational information available include: fire safety programs for all ages, weather safety, home and business fire safety inspections. Call (940) 668-7777 for information.

Gas Service Atmos Energy provides gas service to residences and
businesses in Gainesville. For service call 1-800-460-3030; or, you may
register for service online at

Health Care North Texas Medical Center (NTMC), located at 1900 Hospital
Blvd, is a full-service, acute care facility that provides medical, surgical,
pediatric, diagnostic and outpatient rehabilitation services, as well as 24-hour
emergency medical services. For information about NTMC call (940) 665-1751.

Libraries Cooke County operates the Library for Gainesville and Cooke
County. The Cooke County Library is located at 200 S. Weaver Street.
For information about the Library call (940) 665-2401.
Residents may also use the North Central Texas College Library
located at 1525 West California. For information about the NCTC Library contact (940) 668-
Newspapers The Gainesville Daily Register (940) 665-5511 is an afternoon paper published Sunday-Friday and is available by subscription. The Weekly News of Cooke County is a free publication, which is automatically delivered to
your home. Contact (940) 665-2320 for circulation information.

Post Office The United States Post Office (940) 665-5811 has a Gainesville Branch within the Federal Building located at 321 East California. Recycling Services The City of Gainesville encourages recycling of products such as plastic, glass, newspaper, metal, and yard waste. Composting is permitted within the City limits. Compost must be contained within either a commercially-made compost bin, fencing, or wood bins. In Texas, it is illegal to take vehicle batteries or motor oil to landfills. For recycling information, call the City’s Public Works Department – Solid Waste Division, at (940) 668-4551.

School Registration Neighborhood and elementary schools are located throughout Gainesville. To find out which school your child will attend or to register in the district’s elementary, intermediate, junior high or high schools contact the Gainesville Independent School District’s Administrative Offices at (940) 665-4362.

If you are a parent of an elementary school student you will need to provide immunization records and a withdrawal sheet from the previous school. Kindergarten and 1st grade students need to have a copy of their birth certificate and a social security number.

Parents need to provide some form of proof of residency, which can be recent utility bills, a rental or lease agreement or closing papers from a real estate purchase.

North Central Texas College (NCTC) offers two-year degrees in courses such as, Cosmetology, Nursing, Computer Technology, Office Systems Technology, Agriculture, etc. as well as a good start for those going for a Bachelor’s degree. To get more information about NCTC, contact the registrar’s office at (940) 668-4222.

Taxes Personal property and real estate taxes may be paid at the Cooke County Tax Appraisal District office located at 201 N. Dixon. For more information, call (940) 665-7651.

Telephone Installation Like electrical services, Texas has deregulated phone services. There are numerous companies listed on the Public Utilities Commission Website, which provide local telephone services. For a complete listing go to

Trash Collection The City of Gainesville provides solid waste collection and disposal service for residents and businesses within the city limits. For information on pickup services and the city’s transfer station call the City’s Solid Waste Hotline at (940) 668-4551.

Residents are allowed to take two tons of trash to the City Transfer Station per year at no cost. There are additional charges over the two-ton limit. You must show proof of residence with your current City of Gainesville utility bill and driver license. The Transfer Station is located on North I-35 on the service road past Chili’s Restaurant.

If you are remodeling or conducting demolition and construction work, you may lease a roll-off container or directly haul it to the Transfer Station. Vehicle Registration Area residents may obtain motor vehicle registrations, license plates, and trailer licenses Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. at the Tax Assessor-Collector office located at 112 S. Dixon St. 940-668-5425. To obtain a motor vehicle registration, persons need to bring: a current vehicle registration, a certificate of insurance. The License Bureau accepts cash, personal checks, cashier’s checks and money orders. For more information, call (940) 668-5425.

Voter Registration Residents may register to vote at the Tax Assessor-Collector office located at 112 S. Dixon St. 940-668-5425.

Water & Sewer Service The City provides water and sewer services. Residents are billed monthly and water and sewer bills are combined. The person wanting the service in his or her name must be present to sign the application. The account initiation fee is $70.97, which is non-refundable. There is a $129 deposit. The applicant must be at least 18 years of age and must show a picture I.D. The City also provides an Automatic Bill Payment system for the convenience of residents. For water and sewer service information and further questions, call (940) 668-4500.

The City provides water and wastewater repairs to City services. For repairs or any further information, please call (940) 668-4540 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday. For emergency situations after 5:00 p.m. or on weekends, please contact the Police Department at (940) 668-7777.

Animal Control Services City of Gainesville registration is required for
each dog and cat. Written proof of current rabies vaccination is required in
order to register your pet. Animal License Tags are available for $5. Animal
registration is conducted at Noah’s Ark Animal Shelter located at 2501 N.

Call 668-7777 for further information regarding Animal Control Services.